Based in the United States
Chapters: Africa, Asia, Australia, Brazil, Caribbean, China, Europe, India, Japan, S. Korea, Mexico, Middle East, N. Africa, Russia, Singapore, Switzerland, Thailand, Vietnam
Jonah Wittkamper: 240-899-4613
Rachel Cohen Gerrol: 571-218-8523
Nexus Global Youth Summit
The mission of Nexus is to catalyze new leadership for addressing local and global problems.
According to the 2003 Wealth Transfer Report, nearly $40 trillion dollars will transfer from older to younger generations by 2050 in the United States alone. However, the mechanisms dedicated to creating wealth far outpace those dedicated to giving it away. Too few wealth-holders are becoming strategic donors and social impact investors. How can we encourage greater generosity and socially responsible investing? How can we inspire the young and wealthy? Founded in 2011 with these questions in mind, Nexus has convened its summits in partnership with the United Nations and other governments, and has been featured in the media internationally. The summits have helped scale projects globally, helped generate millions of dollars in new giving, and helped to inspire the creation of various social businesses and non-profits.
Nexus is now a global movement of 2000+ young investors, social entrepreneurs and allies who work to increase and improve philanthropy and social impact investing. The network collaborates to advance the potential of next generation leadership across nations and sectors as well as to bridge communities of wealth and social entrepreneurship for dialogue, education and collaborative problem solving. The membership includes people from more than 70 countries and hundreds of the world's most influential families.
Nexus strives to:
- Build a global membership network that bridges communities of wealth with leaders in philanthropy, social entrepreneurship, and impact investing.
- Accelerate new and existing initiatives that move the needle on key issues important to Nexus stakeholders.
- Educate young wealth holders about worthwhile causes in a way that inspires action from a place of passion and purpose.
Nexus is currently a project of the Giving Back Fund, a 501c3 non-profit organization.
|What Makes Us Different:|
Relational Network: Nexus is not a political event. Nexus is not a transactional event that measures its impact in terms of how much money it moves. Rather, Nexus is a relational network that is dedicated to building bridges across the lines that divide us by fostering meaningful relationships.
Size: Nexus is a network of over 2,000 members from more than 70 countries with specific teams in 15 countries.
For Youth, By Youth Movement: Nexus exists to advance millennial identity. The role models that we choose are young, and the issues that we address are the causes of young people. Young people are one of the world's greatest untapped resources. Many see youth as liabilities instead of assets. At Nexus, we work to change that common misconception.
The following collaborations were inspired by the 2013 Global Youth Summit:
- Constellation (a new skin cancer imaging company)
- The PVBLIC Foundation (a system for donating unused media assets to non-profits – www.pvblic.org)
- Satisfeito (a campaign for restaurants to save money by allowing cust omers to request smaller portions in exchange for donating the proceeds to non-profits that feed children – www.satisfeito.com)
- Just Good (a life style movement and aggregator of social good products – www.justgood.org)
- Good Super (Australia’s first social impact retirement fund – www.goodsuper.com.au), and investments in various non-profit and for-profit startups.
Additionally, among participants surveyed from the 2013 Global Summit:
- 90% rated the Summit as “excellent” or “above average”
- 89% reported “a change in the way they see themselves and their role in addressing global problems”
- 82% reported that they are more likely to engage in philanthropy, social entrepreneurship, or impact investing as a result of their experience
- 86% reported that they were planning to support the projects of other Nexus members
- 95% wished to nominate young wealth-holders and social entrepreneurs for future Nexus events